Wednesday, February 8, 2012

(unsolicited) advice

As soon as you find out you're pregnant, advice comes pouring in from others.  Hell, if anyone knows you're trying, so many people feel the need to tell you what to do.  I took it all in stride, with a grain of salt.  After all, you learn so much from others...what to do, and what NOT to do.  It all works itself out in full cycle too, because as soon as I congratulate friends and family on their upcoming bundle of joy, I have an overwhelming urge to give them my own two cents.  As a mother, I have found that I am either completely lost (seriously, WHY is he STILL crying?!?), or I suddenly think I'm a know-it-all (I did blah, blah, blah with Ty and he is oh-so-perfect...lol).  Obviously I don't know it all.  I don't think anyone ever does.

My point behind all of this rambling...  I have watched two friends over the past couple of days receive their fill of advice regarding issues with their babies.  Granted, they voiced their questions and concerns via facebook, so you have to be prepared to receive both positive and negative feedback.  I personally take the old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" to heart.  Seriously people, think before you speak!  Amongst all of the (somewhat unsolicited) advice that was given, was a lot of negativity, a lot of harsh words of criticism that, quite frankly as a new mother, just make you feel like crap.  Everyone raises their children different.  There are so many things our parents and grandparents did that make the world gasp in horror these days.  To each their own.  I myself do things that the American Academy of Pediatrics would shun me for.  If you want to help someone out, answer their questions, give your opinion...but do so delicately.  There is no need to push your personal preference, no need to chastise someone for choosing to feed their baby cereal earlier than your pediatrician recommended.  Most importantly, do not make a mother feel stupid for asking questions.  Do not make her doubt the job she is doing, because it is HARD!  Being a mother is by far the most difficult job I have ever done.  It is also the most rewarding.  I think that's why it chaps my hide to watch mothers bashing mothers.

I'm off my soapbox.  Thanks for listening.  =)

No comments: