Friday, October 29, 2010

one beautiful baby



Look how much our little baby has grown already! 6 weeks, 5 days old in the picture. It went from a little rice-looking thing last week to a gummi bear! That's what the nurse called it...she said, "what a beautiful little gummi bear!" Not that its even that big yet...last week it was the size of an orange seed, this week its about the size of a nail head...and by next week it will be a blueberry! For the record, there is only one baby! We would've been thrilled with twins, but the chances of complications are a lot less with a singleton pregnancy. Almost immediately, we saw the baby's heart beating. I almost forgot that we might be able to see the heartbeat this time...I was so excited to see that the baby had grown! This is the second time I've seen one of our baby's hearts beating...and wow, it just brings tears to your eyes every time. What a miracle! This baby was just made almost 7 weeks ago, and it already has a beating heart. The heart rate was 119 beats per minute. They even recorded the heartbeat on a video for us...although I can't get the mac to play it...but I will persevere and beat the computer! According to What to Expect (the baby bible), in the 6th week, the heart should be beating around 80bpm and growing faster every day. So I am thrilled with 119. That's actually already faster than the other baby's heart rate was at 7 weeks, 1 day with the last pregnancy. I just love our fertility nurses...she just sat there and let us awe in the moment as we watched the baby's heart beating. I barely got to see it at the OB's office last time. They are so busy there, you are in and out of ultrasounds. I am holding on to each moment we get to see the baby, and thankful to have been given such amazing resources.

The baby is still measuring right on time. We are now going by the baby's measurements to date the pregnancy since the little guy's growth has been consistent a couple weeks in a row. So that makes me 7 weeks tomorrow, still due June 18. With each passing week, I find myself getting more excited about the pregnancy. i feel so vulnerable, especially after the way we lost the last baby. We get to see the baby twice next week...my fertility doctor still wants to see me once a week and I will have my first prenatal appointment with my OB, which means bloodwork and another ultrasound! I'll take it!

1 comment:

Our Family said...

SO glad all is going well!!